Thursday, November 21, 2013

Turkey Quinoa Kale Meatloaf , Mash Potato & Mushroom Gravy & cole slaw



This evening I created a lighter version to our meatloaf, mash potato & cole slaw dinner. 

Oh boy this was delicious and good for you. 

Instead of using the basic ground beef I used 93% ground turkey meat. 
I added quinoa and kale to my meat mixture so I may use less meat. Added a filling that's nutrional and satisfying. With out losing flavor.  (FYI - if you are using all ground turkey breast be advise that this cut may dry up when its cooked. So I would combine it ground turkey meat (dark meat) and ground turkey breast (white meat) to help it stay juicy).  

Ingredients

Meatloaf 

10 ounces of 93% lean ground turkey
(Used only half of a 20 oz package)
1 1/2 c kale chopped
1 c quinoa cooked
1/2 c red onion chopped
2 celery stalks chopped
1 1/2 tbsp chicken bouillon powder
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 tsp ketchup 

Mashed Potato 

2 c mashed potato flakes or 2 medium cooked potatoes mashed) 
1 c lactose free milk
1/8 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp blk pepper
2 tbsp unsalted butter

Mushroom Gravy

1 tbsp corn starch (thicking agent) *otherwise I would use all purpose for this recipe
Water 
1/4 c dry sherry
1/8 tsp thyme (fresh or dry)
1 tbsp red onion chopped
1/2 c chicken broth
2 med white button mushroom sliced

Coleslaw

2 1/2 c cabbage chopped or shredded 
1 carrot shredded
1/8 tsp celery seed
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/4 c apple cider vinegar
1 tsp mayonnaise (I used hellmann)
1 tsp sugar crystals (use sweetener of choice)

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350. 

Line baking pan with foil or cooking spray and set aside. 

In a large bowl add ground turkey, kale, onions, celery, chicken bouillon, black pepper & quinoa.


As you can see I refrained from having to use egg, bread crumbs or milk as we known many use. Instead I used cooked quinoa (left over from the other night) chopped kale for added nutrients. 


I apologize for the horrible picture. The lighting was just terrible. I'm working on it. 


Shape your meatloaf as best you can if you are not using a meatloaf/bread pan. As you can see it held together beautifully. No need for egg or milk. 👌 

Create a tent like shape with your foil over the meatloaf. Bake for 20-25 minutes. 

Salad 


Add your chopped cabbage and carrots to a salad bowl and set aside. 

Whisk  together in a small bowl vinegar, mayo, celery seeds, black pepper & sugar. Taste test the dressing to your liking. For me it was a perfectly balance. 

Retrieve your bowl with the cabbage, carrots and drizzle you coleslaw dressing. Toss to coat evenly. Cover with Saran Wrap and chill in fridge for at least 20 minutes or till serving.

Gravy


I did not have any all purpose flour in my food pantry to make a rue so I used cornstarch to thicken the gravy. 

In a small bowl whisk cornstarch and water so all lumps are gone. Set aside. 

In saucepan over medium high heat add butter & thyme. As the butter melts through add the sliced mushrooms and onions. Let onions get a bit translucent then add the sherry & chicken broth. 

Simmer for about 2-3 minutes. Stirring continuously with wooden spoon drizzle the cornstarch slowly. Keep stirring till desired thickness. Add water if needed. Once achieve turn stove off and set aside. 


Check your meatloaf, remove foil and spoon your ketchup over the top. Change your oven setting to broil. Broil for another 3-5 minutes or until the ketchup is darkened enough for you. Then turn oven off and let meatloaf set while you make your mashed potatoes. 

Mashed Potatoes

I forgot to take a picture of my mashed potatoes cause the family began arriving and was so ready to chow down. 

I normally make my potatoes from scratch but I forget to get a bag potatoes when I went to the grocery store yesterday. So again I had to improvise. 

Follow the package instructions for the potato flakes. If making plain mashed potatoes from scratch, broil/boil or steam your potatoes, mash them adding milk, salt, pepper and butter. (FYI - I found steaming potatoes taste the best and the fastest to cook).


Remove coleslaw from fridge. Slice meatloaf and begin plating. 

So delicious. Please let me know when you have tried this version. We all loved it here at home and would hope the same for you at yours. 💋

Bon Apetit!!









No comments:

Post a Comment