Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Luli's Ground Turkey and Chicken Roti


                                                    Luli's Ground Turkey Roti

The very first time I sampled a roti was over 10 years ago when I lived in Miami. I was so craving this a couple nights again and decided to wipe up my version. I'm sure this isn't how they make it in the West Indies, but I can assure you - this is a WINNER!

I recognized the aroma when making this and sure enough when I took my first bite I nearly did a back flip. Yum! Yum! This won't be the last I make this.

Serves 4-6

Ingredients

1 lb lean ground turkey

1/8 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp (of each) black pepper, turmeric, paprika,
       oregano, cumin, onion powder & garlic powder
a pinch of red pepper flakes (as desired)
 1 fresh spig of thyme
 1 tsp of unsalted butter
 1 tbsp of pure olive oil
 1/2 c of water
 4-6 small/med corn tortillas (or Naan, whole wheat/flour wraps etc.) follow packing
        instruction to warm them
 5 med. potatoes cubed or sliced 1/2 inch thick (boiled and set aside)

Instructions:

In a medium sized pot on med/high heat add oil and butter. Once butter is melted, add turkey and all the spices and the thyme. With a wooden spoon break the ground meat into smaller pieces and stir to mix well. Cook for 5 minutes then add the pre-boiled potatoes, stir frequently then add the 1/2 c of water. Let simmer and cook until water has evaporated. Serve over a warm tortilla. May garnish with flat parsley,cilantro or chopped spinach. Delish! Enjoy.



Note: you may increase the amount of the spices. Check for taste before adding the water. If you wish to make it more spicier, by all means.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment