Monday, June 24, 2013

Luli's famous taco salad


Luli's Taco Salad

My renowned taco salad 
 Hahah this taco salad I invented many moons ago. Every single person that I plated this for have come back for seconds and thirds. Even my grandmother whom sadly is no longer with us loved this salad and asked for the recipe. 

I recalled when I served this salad to my Irish fiancé Michael. He frowned and said it looked like dog food. Hahah I nearly made him wear it for saying that. lol But he tried it , then couldn't stop eating it. Went for seconds and thirds and even ate the left overs cold from the fridge.  That was like 12 years ago and till today he fights anyone going for seconds because he says its HIS salad lol.  He even said I better not give out this recipe. Lol 

So yeah, as of yet, that's what usually happens when I serve this. 

This salad works excellent for parties or any large gatherings. Feeds many for very little money. Can be eaten hot or cold. So if you have left overs and your husband or kids haven't got to it,  would be  perfect for lunch the next day. 

Give it a try! See if you and your love ones like it as much my peeps do. 


Here it is : 

I'm going to give you the original ingredients first and then my present recipe which is a lighter version for the conscience ones. 

Original Recipe:

4 lbs of lean ground beef
1/2 - 1 c Kraft Thousand Island Dressing
Head of lettuce chopped
2 - 3 large beefsteak tomatoes diced
I small can of sliced mushrooms
1 small can of kidney beans
1 envelope of taco seasoning 
1/2 bag shredded cheddar
1 bag of plain Fritos corn chips

Instructions

In a large Dutch pan add meat and seasoning. Stir with wooden spoon to brown meat. Cook for about 5 minutes then add kidney beans and water. Let simmer for about ten minutes and or until  kidney beans are fork tender and all water evaporated.  Then add the mushroom stir and cook for another 5 minutes.  Cook cover and set aside to cool. 

Once cooled add the rest the lettuce, tomatoes, Fritos corn chips, cheese and dressing and stir to coat evenly. Eye the dressing as well. As you stir you add if you need more. Balance it out. Not too much dressing. You get what I'm saying 😉. 

Serve immediately. Note eye the chips as well.  Only add them when ready to serve. No one like soggy chips. So add a bit serve and repeat. To help keep the chips crunchy. 

Enjoy!  

Now for my new lighter version

Light Taco salad

2 1/2 lbs lean ground turkey 
1 1/2 tbsp of homemade taco seasoning *see recipe
1 c medium onion diced small 
1/2 c light homemade thousand island dressing *see recipe 
Low salt plain Fritos corn chips
1 c reduced fat Cabot sharp cheddar
2 1/2 c fresh white mushroom sliced
2 c romaine hearts (or any leafy green)
1/2 - 3/4 c homemade thousand island  dressing 
1/2 c kidney beans precooked ( 1 c of dried kidney beans was soaking in water two nights ago , then cooked with 2 c of water, a tbsp of my green Sofrito ( see recipe) and dry thyme in slow cooker over night to be soft and ready for today's meal ) 

Be Advised - I only used 1/2 c for this recipe. The other 1/2 I froze for future use. As you can see I pre-plan my meals. If I plan to use the dry beans instead of cans, which I strongly prefer, I pre-soak them the night before or do as I did here and slow cooked them over night. But no salt are added just herbs for seasoning. The salt seasoning I add the day of.  

Okay back to salad. 

Instructions

In a large Dutch pan add the onions stir and let sweat. Then add the ground turkey, homemade taco seasoning. Stir to coat the poultry and brown evenly. Now add the cooked kidney beans, stir and let cook for about 7 minutes. Now add the fresh sliced mushrooms, stir and taste. See if you want to add more seasoning sprinkle a bit more of the taco seasoning. Cover and let cool. 

Uncover and add the remaining ingredients chopped leafy greens, cheese, dressing and the corn chips. 

This salad is just as delicious and can enjoy without the guilt. 

It's also vegan friendly just replace the poultry with more kidney beans  and mushroom and voilaaaa!!! Lol 💋

Super delicious!

Yummmy!!!! 

Bon Apetit!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment